Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Non-Writing Long Weekend

Time for a small glass of wine and an evening curled up watching a chick-flick. But first it's time to bring myself back to writing after this eventful weekend (yes, I know it's Wednesday). I had a wonderful visit with Laura (lifetime friend), am hosting an inlaw for a month and beginning a new schedule.

Pocho has been switched to first shift (working during the day!) for a month. Quite possibly after that he will be returned to the night shift but currently he's hoping for his chance to prove that they want to keep him during the day (therefore he's showing them just how much he can work -12/hr days 6 days this week). The switch means a schedule change for all of us though and the boys and I are not exactly taking to it easily. Abuelito is visiting though and working like crazy around the house washing dishes, chopping wood, painting, organizing the garage... I'm worried I wont be able to keep him busy enough as he can't seem to relax and enjoy his vacation.

To add stress to stress I welcomed a nice young Kirby salesman into my house to clean one room's carpeting and he stayed from about 2pm until 7:30pm trying to show me how important it was to have a cleaning machine of the $2500 calibar around my house. In my state of mind I almost gave in. But the truth is we already owned a Kirby before and know how little we actually used it! We're $40 Bissell vacuum people. I have become wary of myself, however, and know how prone I am to believing anything I'm told. This day has been invaluable in my inexperience. I will now know to say 'no thank you' when asked if I want my carpet cleaned, or an estimate for an in-home security system, or ...

Every day I add to my experience.

3 comments:

  1. Amen. But come on, you really want a Roomba, right? I know I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. keeping the words flowing may reveal stories that you would never "think" of writing. i.e. the kirby salesman. i think that your attentive caring nature (unintentionally) kept this salesman trying for the sale. this story, once developed may be humorous or enlightening regarding homemaker decisionmaking or a gentle exploration of salesmanship or overzealous gadget design (a sweeper that spray paints!) or ? or all the above. Maybe this experience was meant to be a story?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good idea mom. Will get on it! And yes I do Aubrey!

    ReplyDelete