Saturday, January 2, 2010

Night-Time Mind Meanderings

My mind does not like to turn off, even when the time comes to rest. I went to bed last night exhausted at about 9:30 and could not sleep for almost 2 hours. Lying in bed and trying to find a comfortable position from which I might actually be able to enter the rhelm of dreams, my mind continued to ponder the thoughts of the day. I even considered several writing ideas as I lay there. Too bad for me I no longer am able to remember those ideas...but I'm sure they will resurface eventually.

I have heard several writers talk about the necessity to write hitting them at odd hours of the day or night. I'm too stubborn to actually let this happen. Perhaps last night would have been a wonderful opportunity to sit down without toddlers and write a first draft of a short story or something. I was up several hours after I wanted to be anyway. Yet, here I am, naptime for the boys and I am writing about how I didn't write when the moment hit last night. Note for the future: keep a notebook by the bed so it's actually possible to remember what my brain wouldn't let me forget the night before! And, perhaps I should let myself get out of bed if I can't sleep and put down some thoughts in writing so my mind can let them go. I will ponder that one...

1 comment:

  1. remember, some of De Grazia's best drawings/paintings were marked as midnight works!

    ReplyDelete