Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Finding Community Amidst the Chaos of Life


Pocho and I have lived in Washington about 6 months now. I love it here. I love the evergreens, the mists that settle in the morning just below our house. It feels like we live inside a cloud sometimes and I find it beautiful. We were visited by a most remarkable owl here, at our house, and I've seen more evidence that they frequent our neighborhood. I love our house with all of it's cosmetic potential for improvement and no matter how cold it seems on some days, we have lots of blankets.


Despite my love for our new home, there are things about our life in Tucson that I cannot seem to find here... at least not yet. I have a few friends and they are very remarkable women, but they live (for the most part) at several hours drive from Everett. I can't just call them up in the morning to see if they want to go to the zoo, or the aquarium with the boys. I haven't made myself available to meet new friends in the area. I also don't think it's possible to find a salsa community so completely friendly and open as I have found in Tucson, with Gerardo and Lupita at the heart.


I miss Tucson for my communities. I miss my mama/baby group from church, even if I rarely attended church. I miss salsa socials and Arizona Ballroom Company. I miss Desert museum trips with Elena and the kids.


This is why it's so hard to move. Starting over in community building takes a lot of effort and a lot of putting yourself out there and hoping others might share your interests and beliefs. It is time I began again here. So... time to find myself a few more friends who share some of my interests and passions. Time to start getting out of my comfort zone at home and seeking new places and new people.


I will continue to miss my previous communities and will be overjoyed to visit them again, but I hope that I can create a few new ones here as well.


And the journey of life continues!

5 comments:

  1. Ok...that was supposed to be "salsa socials 'at' Arizona Ballroom Company."

    ReplyDelete
  2. a bit of time, serendipity, and spirit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetheart - I have no doubt that you will make this happen. Just remember to have a lot patience, and look at even the small progress you make over time. For the most precious things are most often harder to find :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I connected today with two mothers of children my boys' ages! One of the kids even has my littlest's name! But it's spelled differently (Rowyinn I think it was). Anyway, off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK...forgot the 'n' in the middle there lol! Rownin maybe? Anyway, it was different that Ronan, but pronounced the same.

    ReplyDelete