Thursday, February 25, 2010

Nice Cop

Last night I went out to dance. And I danced and I danced and I danced. There were just a few of us left on the floor by the time I changed back into my street shoes and hopped in my car to drive home. The drive was pretty uneventful, just long. From Redmond back to Everett can be anywhere from 30-40 minutes but it's worth it to be able to dance in a studio again.

I was very careful not to speed much at all though because I was driving the vroom-vroom car. Cops love to pull over people who's cars make obnoxious noise while they're speeding, even 5 miles over. So I was driving the speed limit all the way home. Imagine my surprise when one block from the turnoff into our neighborhood those ominous flashing lights start up behind me!

So I pull over into an AMPM on my right-hand side and turn off my car. The cop gets out of his and I roll down my window to talk to him. He simply asks me if I realize that I'm supposed to have a front liscense plate attached to the front of the car. Unfortunately, I do. But I tell him that Pocho has told me he just need to go and get the right screws to attach it and that's why it's sitting by the windsheild instead of affixed to the front of the car. Well, the cop was very nice and just asked that I make this happen very soon. I will, of course, comply.

But then he asked for my liscense as well and when I gave it to him he asked if we had moved here or were just visiting. I told him we moved up here last summer. So he tells me "you're a little past your 30 days then," to get my liscense changed to WA. Did anyone know there was a rule that said you had 30 days to switch your liscense when you move out of state?? Well I sure didn't and I very politely told him so. We joked a bit about the expiration date on my AZ liscense (I would be 65 when it expired) and then he let me go home with the instructions to change my liscense and get the front plate on the car asap.

Nice to meet a nice cop.

6 comments:

  1. writer to writer. please edit. Spelling of 'license' I believe? and some odd grammar. these take away from the flow of the story. as a journal entry this is fine. if you want it to be a little interest piece, it needs some extra pizazz. the experience itself probably provided that for you! for us, make us feel it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my previous comment would be rude and nit picky if the purpose of this blog was not an exercise in feedback for writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good note. Usually when I read back over my blog before posting I catch most spelling errors. However, for some reason I've always had trouble spelling license...and there's no spell checker here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...and I saw the "two comments" and thought for a minute that someone else had commented! Alas, no. But now there will be four comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My computer underlines my misspelled words. Maybe it is my web browser? Are you using Firefox? That's what I use. Oh, and can you send some nice cops to Utah? I still haven't changed my license yet... I've been here 4 yrs.... Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok so I'm just extremely unobservant. It does have a spell checker. I'll use it from now on. hehehe.

    ReplyDelete