Monday, February 22, 2010

For the Love of Vampires!

I'm just as much a fan of vampire novels as many a reader out there but some readers just embarass me. I love Stephanie Meyer's stories about the moral vampire and mortal womans' love, and I love Cynthia Leitich Smith's novels about vampires, werepeople and guardian angels. But I don't love some peoples' comments and the fanatic bumper stickers.

I was driving home from the gym today and an SUV in front of me was proudly displaying an array of mismatched bumper stickers. "Married with children but in LOVE with a vampire," was one such. Another said, "I punched a werewolf in the FACE!" And right beside and below these were two identical "Baby on Board" stickers. Seriously? Is this fanaticism something that you want to teach your children. They will be the kids walking round with "Team Edward" or "Team Jacob" shirts on. Screaming and feinting if they happen to see Rob Pattinson on the street.

Think about it though...who would really be happy to meet a vampire? If they are truly real beings out there, who would be able to survive an encounter? I live in the Pacific Northwest and when I walk around underneath the trees and cloud-cover I get a bit nervous. Not that I wouldn't mind having creatures like the Cullens or the Moraleses in our world, but I still don't think I'd truly like to meet them. Let them live in their world and me in mine and happily I will always wonder if all the tales from around the world have some truth behind them.

You will not find me rooting for "Team Edward" though or hoping to meet a real Kieren. I am happy just imagining them and that is enough for me, for all eternity.

1 comment:

  1. i think this is an example of writing about something that you have played around with so much that you tend to forget to fill in the blanks. you might try taking one element in this and playing around with it until you have a word image with a punch to it.

    ReplyDelete