Monday, February 8, 2010

Battle of Wills




Whatever do we do when we have not slept enough? Jonas and I battled it out today. There was screaming and slamming of doors and a rather disgruntled younger brother (awakend early from his nap). We tried threats and encouragement and even a bit of the evening nite-time ritual of singing and storytime. I began to think that nothing would work to make my eldest son relax and take a few minutes out so he would be fresh for the afternoon.

Finally however, after all our struggles he was so tired he slept for a long while. Experience has taught me that I cannot let Jonas skip his naps yet. If life gets away from us and this happens we spend the afternoon in a state of whining chaos that I don't wish to remember. In addition to the fun times I inevitably cave and put a movie on for distraction while I'm cooking dinner and upon re-entering the living room find Jonas curled up asleep on the couch. He still needs a nap.

So note to self: Always run them out before naptime! We meant to go to the park this morning. But another ingenious mama moment got in our way. Jonas decided to show me just how much he wanted to make his own decisions today while we were at the bank. I was not particularly pleased by his show of independance and therefore decided to punish us all (marvelous Monica) and we did not go to the park as planned but returned home to wash laundry instead.

Both of my boys have really strong wills. Unfortunately, or fortunately, so do I. Daily we battle it out but as a mama I need to make sure that I'm not suppressing theirs by asserting mine. And onward with the struggles of motherhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment