Saturday, April 3, 2010

Painting the Easter Eggs

Originally when I sat down tonight I was going to write about the meaning of Easter as I have been struggling with the concept of late. However, I find the whole thing far too daunting a subject to try to write about this evening. I feel I need notes and research. There are so many things I want to think about with regards to this whole holiday and yet I feel like now is not the time to struggle with them.

It is perhaps sufficient to say that Easter is about the resurrection of Christ and a new beginning for all of us. We were given an amazing gift of hope in the future, in our future after death. It is a difficult gift to accept, given the circumstances surrounding the event. But we were blessed and we are loved. It is always good to be aware of the love of God. No matter how far away from the concept I get, Easter is always a time for me to return to it.

My personal affirmation at this time as I think about it right now is the following.
I believe in God. There are so many different beliefs in this world but I would struggle to belong to just one. My God is not the God of insignificant rules and criticisms. My God is not a God of hate for those who disagree amongst themselves. My God accepts all people and encompasses their beliefs. My God loves all people and died to give new life to them. My God loves all life and all that surrounds life - be it plant, animal, rock, wind, planet... My God accepts me for who I am, faults and all, and helps me to constantly strive to be better. If I fail for a while, my God is always ready to help me try again. If I ignore my God for a time, my God is always ready to hear me again when I return. My God is a friend I can talk to and sometimes imagine a response from in the way life plays out for me. My God loves my children and will help them grow to be who they will dream of becoming.

My boys and I painted Easter eggs today. A few crayon scratches from Ronan on an egg and then a big PLOP as the egg hits the dye. Yellow splashes all over the table and toddler giggles in the air. I doubt many parents will receive a "ouchy spider" on their Easter eggs but my Jonas is a pro and we now have several.

I guess I did end up talking about the meaning of Easter after all. Hope everyone has a marvelous day tomorrow. Celebrate it well, as it is a great day for celebration!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely thoughts, Monica. It is interesting how Easter has become a time for us to review our beliefs about Christ, the resurrection and atonement. Easter was originally a pagan holiday that celebrated a goddess and springtime. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you stated about God. No doubt this is the season to contemplate the greatness of his power and mercy. I also love the ouchie spiders. What do those look like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...Jonas makes spiders by drawing an oval with spike-like legs protruding all around it. It reminds me of biology and amoebas. But lately he's been pretty acurate about the 8 legs. :)

    And good point about Spring! Belthane! All kinds of rights of Spring were overtaken by religion as we have come to know of Easter as the time of the resurrection of Christ.

    ReplyDelete