Monday, April 26, 2010

Racial Profiling, Now Made Legal in AZ

As the wife of a hispanic man, and the friend to many other hispanic people I cannot but be incensed by this new law in Arizona. Now cops are required to check for residency and/or citizenship. So if my husband (who is a US citizen with a very strong Peruvian accent) is out and about without proof of his legal status in the US he might be arrested?

I keep hearing on the news that there is "concern" for the fact that this might lead to racial profiling. Is there any doubt?? Beware now folks and keep your ID's on you. Don't lose 'em or leave them at home at any point because you might be charged with the crime of being an illegal human being!

This is not the way people! This will only lead us further into discrimination and hate. Why do we keep coming full circle on this? Suddenly I'm not so sad we moved out of Arizona. I love the desert for many things but at least here in Washington Pocho wont be carded just for being hispanic.

2 comments:

  1. How do we reach the people who do not know what it is like to live in a different skin? let alone another culture? Remember, what it was like for you in Hawaii and Chile? You had to work so hard for some people to see you as not just the tall blond. Now we add the fact that you went home to a safe home with plenty of food and extended community. What fear must these 'aliens' experience in our home where freedom rings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can see and understand why you're incensed! It makes me upset too, and I don't even have the close connections to hispanics that you do. I completely agree with your post, Monica. And, YAY! You have another reason to stay in Washington! :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete