Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Age of Monsters


When living my normal, every-day routine, I almost never notice the monsters that surround us. Jonas is beginning to. When I have to use my "mommy voice" one too many times he tells me that I shouldn't be a monster. I remind him that mama turns into a monster anywhere past the 3rd repetition of a request. Whether it is a request to help me pick up his toys or a request to stop hitting his brother mama transforms into monster mama after about the 3rd request.

Other monsters besides mama and daddy inhabit our world now too. We have the big, huge black dog. He's really very fun and not so scary once you get to know him. When Jonas is reminded of this fictional creature mama tells him that he is not to worry, Blackie is in the living room with mama and he wont come Jonas' room. Blackie is only scary because he's fictional and he's gigantic! He must be an Irish wolfhound but since he's invisible most of the time we only get rare glimpses. He's a good friend though and after a talk about how nice he really is Jonas isn't afraid of him anymore, just like Marie (a new favorite book "Blackie and Marie").

Since Jonas has become aware of monsters now he recognizes them in movies and TV shows. They are very important topics of conversation and they must be shown to either have been overcome by a superhero or to actually be the superheros themselves (Monsters vs Aliens).

I very much enjoy our conversations about monsters and am so proud to see my son entering the world of make-believe fully fortified with superheros to stand by him as he battles monsters and plays with unicorns. It is amazing to be here as his young mind develops and learns to create new ideas and images. Wondrous!

1 comment:

  1. It IS wonderous! And Jonas is so fun to talk to concerning monsters and superheros! :) Good memory-saving post! Love you!

    ReplyDelete