Monday, March 29, 2010

The Big Race!

At long last I am sitting down at my computer again to stretch my writing muscles. Very good friend Laura was visiting me lately and I was lost in a whirlwind of friendship and unable to break myself away to return to every day things. So, here I am - missing husband and wishing Laura could have stayed a bit longer. However, perhaps it's good for me to have a few days on my own with the boys. I need to focus on them a bit now. Time to resume our music sessions in the morning and our walks outside in the beautiful Springtime weather of Washington.

Speaking of Spring, I lately entered and completed a 10k race on the very first day of Spring! It had been so long since I had run a race that I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I waited at the start unsure as to how far back I should place myself in the line-up. Next to me was a woman with a very unusual dog. He was scruffy-looking and medium-small. Not exactly the kind of dog you would imagine in a race. He was rearin' to go though! Barking at everyone, not in a vicious way, but extremely competitively.

Then the shot rang out and we were off. I found myself swept along with all the runners around me. I passed several people who were taking the start really slow and reminded myself not to burn too much of my strength and energy in the first lap! It was hard not to let competition ruin my ability to complete the race! But I did it. I paced myself as if I was running alone and tried to keep up that pace.

Not too far into the race we encountered the only section with incline. I ran it. Others walked. I found myself fully capable of continuing on through the hills and I jutted out my chest and felt the pride in my accomplishment. That is until I was passed by one of those who had walked the hills. I don't know why it bothered me so much but it did. So I picked up my pace and I tailed her. I wasn't about to let someone beat me who couldn't continuously run the race! So after three more laps of the course we were nearing the finish line and I was ahead. On a downhill slope she attempted to pass. But I knew we were almost there so I sped up, and then faster, and faster until I almost sprinted the last 400 yards.

I made it! And I had beat the red-headed walker! One hour and fifty-two seconds! My legs were like jello the rest of the day but my mind was soaring. I had run a race again, after 7 years! Next perhaps I can try a half marathon. Who wants to join me? Pops? Dan?

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that I got to watch you do this! It was inspiring! And you know you're awesome for beating the hill-walker! Everyone needs a person to compete with in their mind. :) Well done, and I'm proud of you!! Pocho and I certainly agreed that neither of us could have done it- or wanted to! lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good girl yerself! The guys are talking about the Hana relay and Maui Marathon. Maybe? I'll watch the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good to me ma! :) I'll have to find a way to get out there though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Monica :) Feels good to get back into it, eh?

    ReplyDelete