Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Public Library

Yesterday I set myself a writing assignment. I decided it's high time to begin work on my novel. This means many steps and phases of writing. There's research to be done, character development to take place, and settings and plots to discover. As a start I thought I'd research some mythical creatures that I would like to include in my story. So, I found myself at the public library this morning.

Upon arrival I was greeted by a group of extremely beefy young men who wanted me to come and talk to them. I said no thanks and all but ran into the library. But from then on I had a marvelous library experience. I mentioned my welcome party to librarian issuing me my card and she apologized profusely and told me a security guard regularly sends such parties away from the front of the building. Yay! No need to feel unsafe with a security guard on prowl.

Being a total amateur at searching the database for the books and articles related to my topic of interest I asked for help at the reference desk. I doubt many people ask for books relating to mythical sea creatures because I was told she couldn't find many. However, I had a bit more luck when she showed me how the system worked and ended up with a good number of articles on my subject. Thanks to the age of the internet I was able to e-mail these to myself! And after a bit more searching found a few books to take home as well.

What a marvelous first day at the public library. I will return tomorrow with my kids in tow. There is a story-time for toddlers on Wednesday mornings and no matter what the age of your child they can have their own library card and are given a tote bag to carry their books in. Jonas will be so pleased! Thank you Everett Public Library!

3 comments:

  1. :) Nice! And yes, Jonas WILL be so pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's all use our writing skills to send letters to the people in power to keep our libraries open with good extended hours! Budget cuts are hitting libraries on the Big Island! Duh! We are shooting ourselves in the foot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always LOVED library story time as a kid. That will be so fun!

    ReplyDelete