Thursday, March 11, 2010

Do I Know You?

It was grocery shopping time this evening and I had to get out of the house. Jonas and Ronan were being their charming (I've-been-inside-too-long-and-it's-raining) selves and so we decided not to put off our shopping but brave the evening out together and head to Trader Joes.

We arrived happily ready to make some food decisions and Jonas talked me into letting him drive his own "Customer in Training" cart. Good idea? Perhaps. He was excited. A cart of his own to push around and fill (sadly he seemed to think that he could fill it with whatever he chose, picking things at random which he couldn't possibly recognise). The problem comes in dodging the rest of the shopping traffic. My little man doesn't always look where he's going. It was fun though.

Rounding the last isle I was trying to identify anything we might need from the shelves when a nice woman comes over all excited to see me. She looked vaguely familiar but I assumed that this was because she worked there (her name tag said Kendra). She was very nice, although she spoke in whispers because she had lost her voice, and we were happy to smile and talk with her.

When we were ready to check out we happened upon her checkout lane. She told me that I always look so familiar to her every time I come in and wondered where I was from. We covered the basics: high school, college, major towns we've lived but none rung a bell so we assumed it was just from the very spot we were standing that she knew me. Honestly I used to live just up the street from that Trader Joes when we were in the apartment the summer before last. Perhaps it's just that she hadn't seen me in a while and suddenly recognized me today.

Whatever the circumstances Jonas loved speaking with her in whispers (she was whispering because of her voice and Jonas was copying her because he thought he should) and Ronan very sweetly and loudly said 'bye' as we left. It was an interesting day at the grocery store.

Do you ever come across a stranger and wonder, "Do I know you?"

2 comments:

  1. happens to me often. usually it is a service person from a place i frequent who is out somewhere else. the face is familiar but s/he is in the 'wrong' place. i.e. the postmistress at the grocery store, a waitress who changed restaurants, the dentist technician in the mall.

    I honestly do not know how you redirect Jonas on a shopping spree! You are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very carefully, that's for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete