Thursday, March 18, 2010

Personal Training Blunder

A few weeks ago I finally received my membership card to 24 Hour Fitness and with it came a wonderful surprise, a free 50 minute session with a personal trainer! I was stoked because I always feel like an amateur to the gym because I never enter the free weights section. I seem to stick to the treadmill and, my recent addition, the elliptical machines. This was my chance to learn how to use the mysterious strengthening tools I had never braved before.

Unfortunately for me I chose this past Monday to use my free coupon and I was so excited. The trainer was a runner for one thing. I figured he could give me some very good thoughts on running and how to prepare myself for the 10k race that I had signed up to run this Saturday. He told me basically that any kind of work on toning your body and cardio workouts would strengthen me for running. So he showed me a full body workout that I could do using free-weights and an exercise ball.

I was exhausted after the session, so much so that my hand shook as I entered the combination to open the lock on the locker where I had placed my purse. The rest of the day my muscles felt like jelly. Unfortunately this feeling of jelly-limbs inevitably turned into muscle pain the following day, the kind of pain you get when you first start exercising after a long time of being lazy. This trainer had shown me how to work muscles that I didn't even know existed! And they hurt!

So for the rest of the week I have been attempting to regain my muscle control and lose the pain. I should have waited until after the big run to start up my new free-weight routine!

Lessons for later in life I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww. I wish we could work out together. I LOVE weights! :) I love running as well, but never run more than about 3 miles. Stupid asthma. I am totally jealous right now btw haha. The only thing I can do at this point is "swim," air quotes intended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eek! He should have started off slowly with you. The Jelly limbs - mega muscle ache afterwards isn't good. A little sore, yeah, but more than that can build up protein in your kidneys.

    ReplyDelete