Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Dreaded Cold

Ronan, my little one, started with a runny nose about a week ago. This led to stuffiness and cranky baby syndrome as well as being exceptionally contagious. The dreaded cold had entered our home again. Here I was thinking we were pretty much leaving cold season and remarkably lucky not to have to suffer numerous bouts of it being that we had two small toddlers.

Toddlers are germ magnets! They touch EVERYTHING, then inevitably suck on their fingers. They don't always have mama there to remind them to wash their hands or spray them with hand sanitizer. What toddler would really think about that? Jonas! He knows all about germs. When he doesn't feel well he attributes this to germs and talks about washing them away. However, he is still only 3 and as such does not frequently remember cleanliness. That's for mothers to fret over.

Oh well. So Ronan had a cold. It almost seemed like Jonas was going to breeze by without catching it until two days later when he started sniffling. Meantime I had gotten it shortly after Ronan and honestly I think it hit me the hardest. I've never had a cold like this. Perhaps it was confounded by allergies or something but my eyes were constantly watery. So much so that I couldn't read! Me! Not to mention my Rudolph nose and constant honking noises. It's four days in and I still can't smell anything, although thankfully I have my eyes under control again and can read! Yay!

Cold progression throughout a household of our size is inevitable. Daddy didn't quite get the cold but went to the doctor for back pain and was told he had a slight case of bronchitis. Without a cough? I've never heard of it. But here we are..nearly through it and thankfully sleeping full nights, notwithstanding my semi-normal early wake-up calls.

Thank goodness for vitamin C and echinacea!

No comments:

Post a Comment