Friday, January 28, 2011

The Big Education Dilemma


Welcome now to the world of a mother in search of a positive start to education for her sons. It is a scary world filled with doubt and uncertainty. The options are many, but none seem to be exactly right. What kind of schooling will best start off my loving, high-strung, gregarious, I'd-love-to-have-his-memory-skills, and dislikes-to-be-put-on-the-spot child Jonas. He has so much fun with all of his friends in pre-Kindergarten, and enjoys his Tae Kwon Do master and fellow students but where or how should he start his Kindergarten experience.

I've been drawn over and over again to the idea of homeschooling. It's rather a scary thought for me knowing how difficult I find it to commit to long term projects. But this has got to be different. This is my sons' education. Some friends and I once had a brilliant idea of doing a cooperative homeschool together. If we work together and share our strengths with the kids then we can all have a break, and we can all be giving our best. We will know that each child gets individual attention (something that I'm afraid is becoming more and more difficult for our hard working public teachers).

If Jonas can look forward to a few classmates coming over to learn with him in our home, or going to theirs to learn, then I think we can do this! Now to find the mothers/fathers of similar mind who would like to try this with me here. I believe my strengths to be language, music, dance and art. All of these are things I could bring to share with the kids. Now to find someone who wants to take on math and science, and even P.E. (Daddy for P.E.??) although even there I believe I am capable. I once wanted to study science. Maybe I'll find my way back into that here.

A few days ago Jonas and I visited our district's public school. I don't know how to explain my qualms except to say that there have once more been budget cuts. This will mean bigger class sizes and too little focus on the individual student. The school seems well situated, everyone was nice and welcoming to both of us, but I am nervous. I think the best thing for Jonas is to find a group of friends who can learn with him in our playroom.

As you can see even from re-reading my thoughts here they are leaning in one particular direction. Perhaps it's time to listen to my own logic and begin the search for a few people to share this idea and project with. Any thoughts folks?

2 comments:

  1. a few possible focal points:

    separate pre-school & kindergarten from later schooling. this time can be wide range of activities, learning how to listen and interact,..

    start looking into possibilities for elementary and beyond. list your main criteria (just start, you can add or change). research all school opportunities before canceling out any. one may surprise you.

    begin mining your own homeschool experiences. what did you like? dislike? what worked for you, what did not? what was missing? etc. let this flow out of you. wild writing.

    read some education philosophy. I gave you a few books. see what resonates with you and your deep understanding of your boys.

    take this all slowly, try not to make one big leap. a variety of pieces come together in learning.

    looking forward to continued conversation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again wishing we lived close to each other because I have the same feeling! Being in public ed has scared me off from wanting my own kids in it. The class sizes are far too large :( I would totally co-op with you. Perhaps we could even investigate some kind of web-cam type options. Sounds like your mom has a good head on her shoulders though. That list sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete