Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Frank Delaney

There are few books that truly force me to read them slowly, and yet keep my attention, as Frank Delaney's novels do. It took me nearly a whole month to read Ireland, and yet I found my youngest son's name in that book; Ronan, the storyteller, my little seal.

Delaney has a way of showing you different scenes from Ireland's past that allow you to know the place more and better appreciate its people. Being of partly Irish descent, I am fascinated by the people, music, culture and even food of the country. I play the Irish fiddle, and have always wanted to learn Gaelic; someday, perhaps, I will.

I am currently reading my second of Frank Delaney's books, entitled Shannon. At each sitting I usually read no more than a few pages. I'm not exactly sure why this is. Perhaps it is just that he gives me a lot to think about, or that it takes time to digest his work; but whatever it is, and no matter how slowly I read this book, I am caught.

Thank you for slowing me down Mr. Delaney. I am following the Shannon river with Robert now, and I hope he finds his soul, and spiritual footing again. His journey is amazing to witness.

1 comment: