Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Running the Track

A few days ago I decided to revel in the springy, fun, running track that my new gym boasts. I don't know what it is about indoor tracks but I feel like I can keep going forever. I also don't feel as bored as I do on a treadmill. I know, a cross-country runner should be out running through the pines on nice beautiful Washington days. But truthfully there are many days when I don't feel up to running in cold rain. There's also the added bonus that my boys can play in the nursery while I run the indoor track at Emerald City Athletic Club.

So, during one of my first true distance runs on this bouncy track I discovered I was flying by everyone there. It's rather unnerving to consider yourself a mediocre runner but then begin to lap everyone on the gym track. Honestly most of these people probably just took up running and will soon surpass me, but for now I was the queen of the track, and having fun.

After about 20 minutes of flying, an older runner joined us. He kept up a pretty good pace and I felt that even though I might be able to pass him it wasn't necessary. So I did what many runners find absolutely annoying. I shadowed him. I kept back a ways, but I followed his pace and relaxed into following instead of having to set my own speed.

My time was nearing an end and I still felt great! So it was time to do some sprints. I set the number ahead of time in my head so I couldn't chicken out and do less. Five sprints, I told myself, half the track each. So as I neared one of the long sides of the track I gave a warning to my pace-setter and passed him sprinting as fast as I could for half the track. Now I really felt like I was flying! It was almost too easy! I slowed. Half the track at normal speed and then flying again!

Five times I flew, five times I slowed. Then I walked the track to cool down. My energy hadn't been sapped for the day, rather it had grown. I'm a fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment