Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Showcase!


It is marvelous when a day runs so smoothly and happily as last Saturday did. I got a few things done in the morning and then I took off to teach my rueda class with Christine. Our warm-up was great, and afterwards the few things that tripped us up in the warm-up we were able to breeze through quickly so that we could learn our next, and slightly more complicated, move setenta. I wasn't as nervous as usual when teaching and Christine seemed confident too! We were a great team and the class learned the two moves we taught them beautifully!

After class I had to rush home again to take over care of my boys for a few hours before returning again to the dance studio for the showcase! At the showcase students and teachers of the dance studio get the opportunity to show off what they have learned and perform in front of other dancers. Although I was a complete outsider this time (not being involved directly in the event) I enjoyed it so much! I love watching students as they progress in their dancing abilities. I miss being a part of it sometimes! Years ago I was the teacher watching a new student, or dancing with that student as the showcase unfolded. I was working on the playlist, or performing with fellow teachers. It's been years but I remember how fun it was being involved.

My fellow teacher in the rueda class and good friend since college was one of the performers at the event. Christine and Kevin put together a marvelous performance in west coast swing that was smooth and intricate with a lot of complicated moves mixed in beautifully. There was also a performance done to a Metallica song which was lots of fun, not to mention wonderful performances of Argentine tango, salsa, Viennese waltz, and many other wonderful dances!

I left early in the evening so I missed some of the dancing but I might have stumbled on a good opportunity for me as well. Pocho and I went to a local restaurant called Marimba to have desert and dance for a bit and it turns out the owner might be interested in having me teach a few salsa/rueda classes there. We basically had the place to ourselves that late in the evening so we were able to dance and enjoy each others' company.

After Marimba closed up we decided it was still early and we were actually kind of hungry (we only had dessert at Marimba) so I took him to our local Irish pub down the street. They have spectacular food and a really old-style pub feel. They even have a jam session every Monday night with Celtic musicians.

Everything Saturday seemed to turn out wonderful! What a special day!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Monica, I'm so glad that it was such a spectacular day and may I say it is sooo much fun to teach the rueda class with you! :)

    Much love!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. if this were facebook, I'd "like" this post! Heck, I'd even "love" it! :) Glad your day was so great!

    ReplyDelete