Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Our New Pup!


Yesterday morning I fell in love with a gorgeous black lab puppy that was up for adoption from a local adoption center. Unfortunately once I had filled out the application for her and started to get my hopes up that she would come to live with us, I got an e-mail from the shelter. They thanked me for my interest in her but told me that they had narrowed the applicants down to 3 and ours wasn't one of them. "Oh well", I thought, "wasn't meant to be."

Rightfully so! Searching through craigslist later in the day I happened upon an ad for two pure-bred labs that needed new homes. Both were very young (around a year old) and both were well loved and trained during their beginnings to life. I called about the ad. It was the breeder who had them. The young male had been returned to him because the couple were moving to England and didn't want him to have to go through quarantine. The female came from a couple getting a divorce and the woman didn't have enough time for her anymore.

After just an hour or so of thought I jumped into the car with the boys and drove about 2.5 hours (almost all the way to Portland, OR!) to go and meet this pup. He came to greet us at the car and my boys jumped for joy. The breeder introduced me to his parents and showed me many of the commands that he had mastered.

Needless to say he came home with us. We promptly changed his name (he came with the name Rusty), although many names were run by him before he liked one. And now Jacob, or Jake, is a part of our lives. I now have a running partner, a playmate for my kids, and a loyal canine friend in the house.

Meet Jake!

3 comments:

  1. Aw, he's beautiful! I have some other friends that named their dog Jake and he was the greatest dog ever. What a great name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) YAY! Can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete